There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get to talk to amazing people with fabulous ideas on how to make the world a better place. These conversations are what I live for! They just light up my passion.
At some point, the conversation turns to what’s stopping them from moving forward…
And this is where your BIG BUT shows up!!
- BUT Margaret… I don’t know where to start…
- BUT Margaret… I don’t have enough [fill in the blank]… (usually time, money or knowledge…)
- BUT Margaret… I keep getting in my own way… I procrastinate and I’m stuck!
So let’s get rid of you big BUT once and for all.
So, here’s your homework assignment for today…
- Get out a piece of paper. Write your big dream or goal at the top… Write it out in BIG BOLD letters…
- Now, draw a line down the center of the page…
- On the left side, write out all your BUT’s… Do a thorough job… Get them all listed… every single one of them!
- Now… down the right hand side, we are going to rewrite your BUT’s as an ACTIONABLE statement.
Let’s take an example… So, let’s say one of your BIG BUT’s is “I don’t have enough time”… Look At The Way That Is Written. It’s written as if it is a FACT! And it’s written as if it’s UNSOLVEABLE! And it’s written in a COMPLETELY DISEMPOWERING way!
So, let’s fix this problem. Down the right hand side of the paper I want you to rewrite this statement as an ACTIONABLE QUESTION.
So, on the left you have “I don’t have enough time”… and on the right you write “What are 3 ways I could make time so I can achieve my big dream in life?”
Can you see the difference and the power that becomes available to you when you rewrite your BIG BUT?
Here’s the rules for how to rephrase your BUT’s:
- It must be a question
- It must be answerable in a way that results in an action
- It must give you choices and options to solve the problem
Once you have done this, it’s time to MOVE YOUR BUT!!!
Here’s where the magic happens…
Get a new sheet of paper… for each one of your ACTIONBLE QUESTIONS, I want you to write 3 or more options on how to solve the problem. Then I want you to identify the first problem you want to go solve. Then I want you to put a date that you will solve the problem by!
Next article, we are going to talk about how you can fast track the process even further.
For now, do your homework. Do it today. Write out all your BIG BUT’s… then write them as ACTIONALBLE QUESTIONS… then pick one and…
MOVE YOUR BUT!
Drop me a line and tell me how this worked for you. And if you have questions on how to do this exercise, email me, I will help you MOVE YOUR BUT!